Antique Safes/old hays safe and lock co safe

Question
Have combination 4 # had been used every day for 40+ years has not been used or opened for 15- 20 years. i have spent hours trying to open without success. Am selling in approx. 1 month so need to open before then. It is a Hays Safe and lock co safe

Same problem / situation and age as  with a Cary safe and lock Co. Ltd. And am also not able to get this one open either.

I do have the numbers off of the handle of each if that would help. They came out of parents businesses

Any assist to open would be much appreciated
Thank you

Answer
Hi Dawn,

I'm confused it has been opened successfully every day for forty years, or it was opened successfully UP TO 15 to 20 years ago????

As you didn't provide the combination that you have been testing, I have no way of determining if you are making a dialing error or not.

Regardless of how often it was opened successfully, just like watches need occasional adjustment to keep them accurate, locks need maintenance to keep them operating correctly.

There are only three reasons that a safe lock will not open correctly - in order, they are:

1.  Incorrect dialing sequence, operator errors
2.  incorrect combination, wrong numbers,
3.  mechanical problems.

If the safe has NOT been opened in 15 to 20 years, then I have to assume that you either do not have the correct combination, and/or are not dialing it correctly.    If there was a problem originally, causing them to quit using the lock, then this would be a mechanical issue.

Bottom line, especially if you can't currently open it, and as you have a time line which you have to have it opened by, then you need to contact a local safe company to have their trained safe technician (NOT a locksmith), open the safe and either recover the combination or show you how to operate it correctly.   If there is a mechanical problem with the lock, then this needs to be diagnosed to determine WHAT the problem actually is, and what needs to be done to overcome this, or repair the lock.

As there was no manufacturer by the name of Hays Safe & Lock Company, actual identification of the safe is necessary in order to correctly diagnose the lock problems, and/or come up with the correct dialing sequence for the lock.

At this point their is little that I can offer in help, as this is going to be a hands on job.   If you don't have a local safe company, let me know where you are located (zipcode), and I'll see who I might know in your area, that I would recommend.

If you want me to correctly ID the safe, then I will need much more info, including photos of the safe.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)