Antique Safes/Old Safe

Tag #1
Tag #1  
We acquired and old safe, We have  the keys and combo. This safe is VERY heavy and took an engine picker to lift it. We called a locksmith out because we couldn't open it and he offered us $1,000, on the spot to buy it. The bottom is full of cement with a hook to hoist it. The lock is  a Diebold, there is a SMNA Tag on the outside and a Underwriters Laboratories tag on the inside of the round combo lock tag.
SMNA Group 7
Catalog #455
Underwriters Tag
Group 1 #49052

I have attached a few pitures of the safe and wondering who make it and estimated year etc.
Thank you.

Hi Lynette,

If some idiot locksmith offered you $1000 for this puppy - then I would recommend you take it.   Don't think about it, just take it.

As you mentioned the safe is from Diebold, and is an older money chest.   There are no parts available for it, it is obsolete and has no commercial or retail value.   As it has an SMNA label on it, it is pre 1962, so it also does not meet ANY current standards for burglary, and it is NOT a fire resistive container.

The interior of the chest is probably only about 7" to 8" square and MAYBE about 1 foot deep.   As you mentioned the rest of the container is filled with concrete.   The reason they did this is that as heavy as it is, it would be rather difficult for someone to "walkaway with"!

As I mentioned this is a Diebold container, and it was manufactured sometime during the 1950's up to 1962.

Unless you really, really, really love this safe, then let the locksmith have it.

Current value of this safe "as is", is about $250 to $350 - in working order, with no problems.

Sorry, I wish the news was better.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada