Antique Safes/removal of bank safe

Question
6-26-2014
Hello:
   I sit on our local town council and we have the opportunity to acquire a local bank building at a nominal cost.  To better utilize floor space a large vault located in the middle of the first floor needs to be removed.  Are there any salvage companies in Indiana or Illinois who understand how to remove the safe without destroying the building.

We had hopped that someone existed who would come in and cut the safe into manageable pieces for scrap.

Thank you for  your time and consideration.

Answer
I am sorry but your hopes are nowhere near reality.
It will cost a LOT of money to destroy a vault which was specifically designed not to be destroyed. There is more concrete than steel and it depends on the exact age and quality of the safe but you are talking about full on demolition of the vault walls. Even the door, which may weigh many tonnes is probably too heavy to remove intact and is not easy to cut up and remove. The value of the scrap will not influence the cost of this specialist job.

Antique Safes

Tom Gordon