Antique Safes/Steelcase / Metal Office Furniture Co. Asbestos?

Question
I have one just like the one in the picture that you answered for Madeline. Your info was very helpful. However, I am still curious how to find out if mine is asbestos lined or not as I am sanding and painting it? It has 516 stamped on the "lip" of the door. And the Steelcase - Metal Office Furniture Co. badge beneath the door on the front. I cannot locate any other markings. I researched the company, though informative, didn't help with my specific safe. How do I determine age? As well as, fireproofing? Thank you, AJ.

Answer
Hi A.J.

I'm sorry, but I don't have any listings for Steelcase having used asbestos as an insulation material.   While this doesn't mean that they didn't, I just don't have any records of them having used it.

If you are concerned, I would recommend having the insulation material tested.   If you don't have a local testing facility, you can purchase a test kit, and mail the sample to the lab.   Test kits are available at most hardware stores, and some pharmacies like:    Home Depot, Lowes, Ace Hardware, CVS Pharmacy, etc.

Or you can go to:    http://www.prolabinc.com/asbestos-test-kits.asp

As far as the "age" of the container without more info.   While Steelcase did make safes or security containers from about 1912 until around the early 1950's, without more info or photos I have no way of knowing an approximate time of manufacturer.  

As to fire resistance (no such thing as fire proof), if the container was listed or tested to a standard, it would (or should) have a label indicating what standard it was tested to.   If it has no label, then it also has no rating.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)