Antique Safes/August Ockert safe

QUESTION: I have a safe that is open and I have the combo for. Its an August and Ockert safe with some wooden shelves in side. I need to get it out of where is  before scrap it. The safe is about 3ft high and 3ft wide. Im located in West Haven Ct.

I'm not sure what your question actually is????

I'm also not sure why you would want to scrap an "antique safe"???

August Ockert was established in 1853 and they were succeeded by the C.A & A.H Ockert Safe Company in 1910.   So this would indicate that this safe is over 100 years old.    Based on the photos you included, I would assume this safe to be late 1890's up to the 1910 date.

Please elaborate on what your question concerns.

QUESTION: I would like to sell it. I do not have a place to put it and would only like to move it once. I cleaned a house out my  payment is the stuff in the house.Would you know anyone in CT that buys safes?

Hi Earl,

You have several problems with this, for a number of reasons.

First - as this is an antique safe - it does not meet ANY current standards for fire or burglary resistance.   As most safe companies are in the business of providing protection for fire and burglary this safe is not going to be of interest to them - they simply are not in the business of selling antiques.    Generally most safe companies would charge you to haul it away.

This leaves you with a couple options if you wish to sell it.   Advertise with Ebay or Craigslist.   You can also list it with a local antique dealer or an auction house.    Just like any other item you wish to sell, the better you advertise it, the more prospective buyers you will attract.

Sorry but there is no web site or group to specifically sell antique safes - the market is simply to small to support such a group.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada