Antique Safes/Chubb Safe

Chubb cabinet
Chubb cabinet  

We were donated a safe and all we know about it is that its a Chubb Cabinet. Going by the style of writing on the plaque I think it is 1860s. We were wondering if you could be maybe more precise with the age, model and value of it in its current condition and if you know anyone that could be interested in it. Please see pictures attached.

Kindest regards,

Hi Hannah,

My first recommendation is that you send this request to two of the other volunteers for antique safes at this site   (AllExperts / Antique Safes)

Tom Gordon and Mike Palmer are both in England, and are experts on British made safes.    I specialize in Antique US made safes.    Tom or Mike can narrow down the age of the safe for you, however I don't think it is quite as old as you think.

First problem is the type of safe.    As there were numerous companies in four British cities, ALL making virtually identical safes, during the late 1800's, this flood of safes throughout the UK has managed to surpress any antique value, that they otherwise might have seen.

The fact that EVERYONE made similar safes, with the ONLY slight differences being the name plaque, handle, key lock and key hole escutcheon, values are low because of the quantities of these containers which are still available.

In general, these containers go for around 150 to 200 British Pounds  (about $240 to $320 US dollars).    A similar safe (age) from a US manufacturer might go for 3 to 10 times this value, depending on the condition.

Sorry I can't provide more assistance, but Tom or Mike can possibly answer your question with more substance.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada