Antique Safes/Chubb Safe

Question
chubb
chubb  

HANDLE
HANDLE  
We were donated a safe and all we know about it is that its a Chubb Cabinet. We were wondering if you could be maybe more precise with the age, model and value of it in its current condition and if you know anyone that could be interested in it. Please see pictures attached.

Kindest regards,

Hannah

Answer
Hello Hannah,

Thank you for your question.  I would like to see a picture showing the entire cabinet so I could comment further on its construction.  There is also likely to be a serial number stamped somewhere; possibly on the end of one of the bolts, which would help me be mor e precise about its age.

However, as the name plate clearly states it is a Chubb Cabinet, it is clearly not a safe.  The brass nameplate and pull handle suggest that it was probably manufactured in the 1930's or late 1920's.

There is also no indication of its size in the pictures so estimating a value is very difficult.  Security cabinets are often used to secure bulky bags of change, spirits and tobacco, school IT equipment, etc. so there is a small market for them.

I suggest you look for security cabinets on eBay to get an example of prices.  Ignore the 'buy now' prices as they invariably ask too mucyh and seldom sell.

If you would like to send me another picture showing the entire cabinet and another with the door open so it can see the door thickness and bolt-work, I should be able to tell you a little more.

Mike Palmer FSyI
Mike Palmer Consultancy  

Antique Safes

Mike Palmer