Antique Safes/Crane hinge info

Question
Hi Andy

Just saw for the first time the Crane Hinge safes and would like to build a front panel for a hole in my shop wall 20" by 30"
This will be for display only with just the front panel and door
But I would like to make the hand wheel open the bars on each side of the door
Where can I find some prints or detailed drawings on how the bars move towards each other operated by a bevel gear or ?
Seems like they would have to be one two different planes not to hit each other in the center, that it what I cant figure out with out more info
Thanks you sincerely, Don

Answer
Hi Don,

Sorry, but manufacturers NEVER published that type of info for a number of reasons including patent infringements, security reasons and service requirements.

So basically you are going to have to reverse engineer a door that you have found, that you like, and want to use as your example.

As this style of door has not been made in 60-70 years (or more), parts are also NOT going to be readily available.   Which means that you are going to have to fabricated all of the gearing, handles, bolt work, etc. for your project.

My recommendation to keep it as simple as possible, would be to start with a supply company like "Motion Industries" for items like rack & pinion gearing, and other items, which you can possibly use instead of fabricating every little item.

https://www.motionindustries.com/motion3/jsp/mii/productCatalogSearch.jsp?q=rack%20%26%20pinion%20gearing

Hopefully you have a friend that has a machine shop willing to help you with parts you can't find.

The best I can offer would be a couple photos of doors which may offer you some ideas, however I'm not going to engineer it for you - the cost could be expensive.

Your project sounds interesting and hopefully you have the time and budget to see it through.    Start sharpening up a bunch of pencils and your drafting skills.

Good luck with it.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)