Antique Safes/Hall's Denver & Rio Grande R'W'Y.

Hall\'s Safe DRG
Hall's Safe DRG  

Hall\'s Safe DRG
Hall's Safe DRG  
We would like to know more a Hall's safe that is in our possession.  The number on the handle is 62657.  There is a small safe inside with a silver medallion on the interior of small door with a stamped likeness of Joseph L Hall. The exterior measurements are 31.5 wide by 29.5 deep by 44 inches tall.  We have the combinations to both locks. We are wondering if this might be something special.  How would we find out it's value?  We might be interested in selling.  Thank you.

Deb, yes I think to the right person, it could be very special.  Problem is, finding that person.    Hard core collectors of early Western railroad memorabilia are out there.  The safe itself is somewhat collectible as it has the cast iron trim and inner chest.  The inner lock is one of the better locks of the era. I would put a minimum value of $1500 on that safe, although as I said to the right person it could go for a bit more.  Doug  

Antique Safes

Doug MacQueen

This unusual and highly innovative safe from the later 1800's is a Corliss. William, the much younger brother of George Corliss of steam engine fame, spent several years perfecting this design and it was first displayed at the 1876 Philadelphia U.S. Centennial Exhibition. I do extensive patent research helping me in the study of antique U.S. safes and safe locks. Repairs and part making for antique U.S. safes of the early to mid 1800's, both key and combination. Also the study of early round door chest designs up to and including cannonball safes of the early 1900's.

40 years in the lock and safe trade with a stint in bank service work. Openings, repairs and moving of safes of all types.

Charter member Safe and Vault Technicians Association SAVTA, National Safemans Association NSO, National Antique Safe Association NASA. No longer current.

SAVTA monthly magazine

CMS (Certified Master Safecracker- NSO) and CPS (Certified Professional Safe Technician - SAVTA)

2nd place national combination manipulation contest 1986 and now in 2016 1st place