Antique Safes/J grove safe

Question
Safe
Safe  
As per my email please find pics of safe left to me by my uncle

Answer
Hello Mike,

Thanks for the pictures.  This type of safe is known as 'square cornered'.  It was made before metal presses  were introduced and comprised mild steel plates riveted or screwed to an angle-iron frame creating sharp, 90 degree angles, hence the name square cornered.  It was manufactured circa 1880 and by 1890 this type of construction was largely considered obsolete.  The walls are filled with sand and sawdust to impart some level of fire resistance, these late Victorian safes being concerned mostly with protecting ledgers from fire.  J Grove was just one of scores of small safe makers that flourished in the industrial midlands during this period.  Chubb was already well known so they capitalised on the name - they also named their Defiance Safe works after John Tann's famous Reliance Safe Works.  

Safes of this type can be popped open very easily so they should not be used to secure cash, valuables or important documents.  Consequently they have very little value.  The best way to get some idea of prices is to check out 'antique safes' on eBay.  Ignore the 'buy now' prices as they invariably ask too much and seldom sell.  The average price seems to be around 140 for a safe in good condition with all the keys.  Make sure you list it 'to be collected' as moving these heavy items can cost more than they are worth.

I hope you find this useful.

Mike Palmer FSyI
Mike Palmer Consultancy

Antique Safes

Mike Palmer