Antique Safes/Meilink safe locked.

Question
Inside
Inside  

Outside
Outside  
Hello
Grandmother died.  We have safe...459073
Re locking device group 1      420924
Was open but had combination. Or so we thought...
We left door open but locked it..to check...
Now combination doesn't work..
Though she had written 4 numbers....
Help
Here's her paper written
L 80 - 4
R 28  - 3
L 81 - 2
R 91 - 1

I'm thinking..it's from bottom up.  Hence the 1234. But. Why another number?
It's old and I'm sure not been serviced in forever..it feels tight to turn...
Any ideas?  We've tried from info online. To turn.... Maybe   There's a way to reset it?   There are no red buttons inside..but I'm sure. It's before the red button option... He took the inside plate off to look inside..but we really have no clue....thank you..
Any help would be appreciated

Answer
Hi Annmarie,

Happy 4th of July Weekend!

The good news is that you have the door locked open - worst case if you can't get it to operate correctly you simply have it checked out be a safe technician from a local safe company.

The dialing sequence for your safe is in the correct order - problem is your interpretation of it.   Also, the "red button" you mention ONLY is a reset for certain model imported safes from China, Japan and Korea.   Your safe is a Meilink from Toledo, Ohio.

Warning - DO NOT disassemble the safe or lock, any further than you already have!

Dial it as:

4 times LEFT to the first number, 80
3 times RIGHT to the second number, 28
2 times LEFT to the third number, 81
1 time RIGHT until the dial stops (should be between 90-95).

NOTE:   Left is counter clockwise and Right is clockwise.   DO NOT count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.

For instance for the first number, you would turn the dial counter clockwise (left), stopping the fourth time the number 80 ARRIVES at the index mark - this would be Left to 80 once, continue to 80 the second time, then 80 the third time, stopping on 80 the fourth time it arrives.
Next proceed to the second number (28), following the instructions above.

If it still won't unlock, then YOU are either making a dialing error, or the combination isn't correct.

If you don't have a local safe company (I don't recommend using locksmiths for safe work), let me know where you are located (zip code) and I'll see who I might know in your area.

Hope this helps.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)