Antique Safes/WC Clark Safe Co. safe valuation

Question
Safe
Safe  

Safe 2
Safe 2  
Hello, I recently purchased an old office building in Wheeling WV that had a WC Clark Safe Co. safe sitting in the rear of the first floor.  The prior owners had no idea how old it was or when it had been acquired, but they did have the combination.  And it works very well.  My research (from your published questions and elsewhere) suggests that it was purchased in Pittsburgh in the early 1900s--after the 'h' had been restored to the name of the city.  I'm debating what to do with it, as my plans for the building really don't incorporate a 100-year-old safe at this time.  If the valuation is right, I'd sell it.  But I really have no idea what the parameters of that valuation are.  I will attach what images I can and would be happy to send additional pics at your request.  Thanks.

Answer
Hi Glenn,

I have no information concerning any "manufacturer" named "WC Clark", so chances are this was only a distributor.    It was  (and still is) a common practice to put the name of your company on the safe for advertising purposes, so that the customer (or better yet, prospective customers), would call you back.

While I have a couple ideas about possible manufacturers, I will need to see much better photos of the safe to figure out who made it, approximately when it was made, and to evaluate it for you.

In order to answer questions, identify, evaluate or appraise the “current condition” of your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos (close-ups) should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 10mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please use a “jpeg” format, not a bitmap (bmp) image.   Also, I don’t like “website” photo dumps.   While it may be an easy place for you to store them, retrieving photos which allow me to zoom in to look at details, takes a lot of extra time.   Please send the requested photos directly to me.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)