Antique Safes/Enquiry reg. a Vulkan safe

Question
Outer
Outer  

Inner
Inner  
Hi Mike,

Have a personal safe belonging to my uncle. Its details:

Made of iron. Fire proof.
Height= 24 inches, Width = 20 ", Depth = 18"
Has double locking - (2 keys numbered 1 and 2 and having the name Vulkan on it - that is how i assume its a Vulkan safe).
Inside is another smaller locker drawer and a shelf. With its smaller key.

I cannot find any name or number anywhere that i can see (Its placed inside a wooden cupbourd hence i can see the front of the safe only).
Would you be able to guide me regarding this safe ? Does the Vulkan name on the keys mean its made by them only or could it be a different maker?
Am planning to sell it but not sure what to expect in terms of cost as well as where to keep it for sale.
Any input will be appreciated.

Thank you,
Ms Khursheed

Answer
Hello Ms Khursheed,

Thank you for your enquiry and the photographs.  Vulcan with a 'c' is commonly used as a name for safes both here in the UK and in the USA. However, I have never encountered a Vulkan safe with a 'k' but as this is a very English looking safe, my guess is that the name Vulkan refers to the make of lock rather than the safe.

This form of construction is referred to as 'four corner bent'.  Metal presses were introduced in the late 1800's and in this case a single sheet of mild steel was bent 4 times to create the two sides, top and bottom of the safe.  A separate plate was then screwed or rivetted to the back and the door was hung on a frame at the front.

The body cavity is almost certainly filled with sand and sawdust; a very primitive form of fire resistant compound.  The safe was made circa 1890 - 1910 so over the past 100 years or so, the sand and sawdust will have leaked and become compacted at the bottom of the safe leaving large voids though which heat would be quickly conducted.

Safes of this age offer virtually no protection agains the modern burglar and any fire resistance it may have once had will have badly deteriorated.

I have no idea of the value in India.  Here in the UK the insurance industry does not like these antique safes, consequently they have little value but in India this may be very different.  On ebay, safes of this type frequently sell for around 140.

I hope this is of assistance.

Michael Palmer FSyI

Antique Safes

Mike Palmer