Antique Safes/Estimated price of safe

Question
Barnes safe
Barnes safe  
I came across this safe for 500.00 and want to know if its worth buying? I have one pic on the inside too and another of the whole safe. I can send the others when you respond. Thank you!

Answer
Hi Louis,

While I can't evaluate the safe without seeing the whole thing, I can say that I think it is worth $500, though I'll give you the same recommenation that I give to everyone.    You should have three prices in mind if you are going to buy this safe - and keep in mind that you will have costs incurred to have it picked up and delivered to your location.

You should have three values in mind - your offering price - low,  the price you would like to pay - medium, and the maximum amount you would be comfortable spending - high.     Similarly the seller should have three values in mind.    Their asking price - high, the price they would like to get - medium, and the lowest price that they would be comfortable getting, to let the safe go.
Granted these values may not be that far apart, but the important point is that, somewhere between your low offering price and the sellers high asking price, should be a number that the two of you can agree upon.

The safes evaluation price has nothing to do with its actual selling price as there may be a lot of things going on.   For instance if you have three safes that you are looking at, you are going to be sticking to your lower prices.    If the seller NEEDS the safe to go away - for what ever reason, they may be willing to let it go for a lot less than it is actually worth.

This particualar safe has some great art work, so it will make a great display item.

In order to answer questions, identify, evaluate or appraise the “current condition” of your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos (close-ups) should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 10mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please use a “jpeg” format, not a bitmap (bmp) image.   Also, I don’t like “website” photo dumps.   While it may be an easy place for you to store them, retrieving photos which allow me to zoom in to look at details, takes a lot of extra time.   Please send the requested photos directly to me.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)