Antique Safes/Herring Patent Champion follow up

Question
Andy

Thanks for the help and support from May this year.. with no antique safe experts in Colorado,  I decided to do a lot of reading and to have a go at recovering the combination myself.  I realize this is strictly against your recommendation however, I know myself to have great hand to eye coordination and a strong sense of when things are more than I can cope with.  Taking care to label and collate items as I removed them from the back of the locks, I was able to recover both the inner door (5 number combination) and outer door (4 number combination) and both appear to work reliably with the doors open.
The inner door can be locked in the open position and then the door closed - which is probably how I'll leave it.  However, the handle on the outer door I now know doesn't in fact have a function, but turning the dial retracts (and activates) the bolts on the door and so it's not possible to shut the outer door with the 'bolts' retracted without risking the dial be nudged enough to lock the safe.
The safe is located in my store and easily accessible to shoppers (including kids).  I'd prefer to have the safe doors fully closed...

So my question is ...  If I've used the combinations several times since re-assembling the lock case, and have locked/unlocked the safe each time successfully, is there any reason I should be concerned (aside from losing the combination somehow) that it would no longer be capable of being unlocked??

thanks much :)

Answer
Hi WV,

Fortunately your odds are better than Las Vegas!    "IF" you can operate the door, bolt work AND lock successfully with the door open, then you can test it shut.

As with anything mechanical if you test and retest after EVERY step, if something isn't working, you ONLY have to go back one step to figure out what the problem is.

Test the door to ensure that it opens and closes smoothly and that it does not bind up.   Ensure that there is no external pressure on the bolt work.

Test the lock several times before closing the door, and if it unlocks smoothly and correctly each and every time, then you can test it with the door closed and locked.

The biggest problem with DIY projects like this, is that you may not have the lock operation and combination down correctly.     While it may work as long as it is dialed the way that "YOU" decoded it, this doesn't necessarily mean that you decoded the combination or the dialing sequence correctly.

Where the problem lies, is if anyone BUT you tries to dial it, if they don't apply the combination EXACTLY as YOU decoded it, then it won't work, and if anyone attempts to dial it, using the correct sequence the manufacturer intended, it may also not work.

So, very carefully document the dialing sequence exactly as you decoded it, so that someone following you can use your instructions to open the safe.

Remember while we ALL plan on being here tomorrow, eventually we will all be gone.    Some tomorrow, some years from now.

As long as you are reasonably confident that it will lock and unlock successfully, then go ahead and test it out.    Just remember that with safe locks and doors - there are no do overs.   If you lock it and it doesn't work, there is no going back to square one.

Hopefully this is slightly clearer than mud, so that YOU can make a reasonable decision.   LOL

Good luck with it.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)