Antique Safes/information or value of my safe

antique safe
antique safe  

antique safe
antique safe  
I have a antique safe with W.B. Dodds Pat.14-65 inscribed on the tumbler dial, 58"H 44"W 31"deep, any information on this safe would be very much appreciated.

Thank you, Blane

Blane, very nice safe.  I was at a shop yesterday here in NE Ohio that has a very similar one. I wouldn't be at all surprised if your safe is very close to the patent date on it.  If so, it may be a Dodds, MacNeale Urban of Cincinnati, prior to the name change to MacNeale Urban in 1868.  I say that because of how the wheels extend past the body, common on some safes going all the way back into the early 1800's.  Careful stripping of the paint should be done by an expert or at least as an adviser.  Although it is a big safe, the cast iron panels and roping make it a perfect candidate for a really special restoration.  How about a couple more pictures of the inside, one showing the doors wide open.  Doug  

Antique Safes

Doug MacQueen

This unusual and highly innovative safe from the later 1800's is a Corliss. William, the much younger brother of George Corliss of steam engine fame, spent several years perfecting this design and it was first displayed at the 1876 Philadelphia U.S. Centennial Exhibition. I do extensive patent research helping me in the study of antique U.S. safes and safe locks. Repairs and part making for antique U.S. safes of the early to mid 1800's, both key and combination. Also the study of early round door chest designs up to and including cannonball safes of the early 1900's.

40 years in the lock and safe trade with a stint in bank service work. Openings, repairs and moving of safes of all types.

Charter member Safe and Vault Technicians Association SAVTA, National Safemans Association NSO, National Antique Safe Association NASA. No longer current.

SAVTA monthly magazine

CMS (Certified Master Safecracker- NSO) and CPS (Certified Professional Safe Technician - SAVTA)

2nd place national combination manipulation contest 1986 and now in 2016 1st place