Antique Safes/knowledge of value

Question
Ratner bank safe
Ratner bank safe  

Ratner bank safe
Ratner bank safe  
Hi Mike. We have had our beautiful Ratner bank safe restored and would like your expertise to find out the history and value of it please.

Answer
Hello Gary,

This looks like a late 1930's or earl 1940's Ratner 12 corner bent safe.  It has two Sargent & Greenleaf combinations with dial check locks so in its day it was a high spec safe.

I can't see the door thickness or the bolt-work and there's no serial number which makes it impossible to determinne the precise age or model.

If you could send me another picture with the door open showing the door thickness and the boltwork,I should be able to tell you more.  A serial number may help although all the Ratner registers were 'lost' some years ago.  If it helps, you can send additional pictures direct to info@mikepalmerconsultancy.co.uk.

One thing I probably won't be able to help you with is the value.  In the UK these big old safes are very difficult to sell so reconditioned safe specialists would give you very little.  However, I would expect the market in Australia to be very different.

Mike Palmer FSyI

Antique Safes

Mike Palmer