Antique Safes/Locked safe

Question
I have a combination to my parents the lady left behind it's on Morse and Ireland see if it tells me to go five times past Y 4 time is passed A three times past H two times past E one time too I and then it says then right. I don't understand that part

Answer
Hi David,

The dialing sequence for the Morse & Ireland safes that I've seen, with an alpha bet dial were as follows:

4 times left to the first letter,
3 times right to the second letter,
2 times left to the third letter,
1 time right stopping on the fourth letter - turn the handle to open.

The dialing sequence that you are indicating sounds more like a MacNeale & Urban safe than a Morse & Ireland, with the dialing sequence as:

5 times right to the first letter, Y
4 times left to the second letter, A
3 times right to the third letter, H
2 times left to the fourth letter, E
1 time right until the dial stops (may be around "I")

Note:   generally factory set numbers ended with a "K" instead of your "E".     The last letter "I" is not really part of the combination, only a reference point where the dial SHOULD stop at.

Unfortunately combinations are generally passed on the way they are understood, and NOT necessarily the way that the lock works.    In this instance the first thing we need to do is to actually ID what you have.

If you still can't get the combo do work, then you may need to have it checked out by a safe technician from a local safe company (not a locksmith).

Note:    Right is clockwise, Left is counter clockwise.   DO NOT count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual letter as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.

Hope this helps.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)