Antique Safes/safe

Question
milner safe
milner safe  
Dear Sir,
I have visited the celar of an old antiquity shop where this safe was kept, forgotten by time.
Dimensions are 139x76.5x66
I would be grateful if you could help me with some information on:

a) when it was constructed and,
b) what would a reasonable price be to buy it

yours sincerely
Leo Pavlidis

Answer
Hello Leo,

Thank you for your enquiry and the picture of your safe.  

This type of construction is known as 'four corner bent/banded' and was common between 1890 and 1910.  A single sheet of mild steel was bent to form four sides of a box.  The seam was usually at the bottom where it was welded or riveted.  A further plate was fixed into place at the back and a door hung on an angle-iron frame at the front.  However, the seams at both the front and back were easily attacked and in order to protect them, heavy steel bands were wrapped around and overlapped at the front and back.

These old safes offer no protection against modern power tools and the filling of sand,sawdust and alum provides very little resistance to fire.  Consequently it is not recommended that large amounts of cash, valuables or important documents are secured in safes of this type.

I have no idea of values in Greece so I can't advise you what to pay.  These safes are very difficult to sell in the UK because of their weight and poor security.  The best way to get some idea of values is to visit eBay and search on 'antique safes'.  However, if you are looking to use it as a safe to secure cash and valuables, I recommend you look for a modern, lighter safe designed to protect against today's tools.

If you found this information useful, please take a moment to return to Allexperts and give this reply a rating.

Michael Palmer FSyI
Mike Palmer Consultancy

Antique Safes

Mike Palmer