Antique Safes/safe lock

safe front
safe front  

inside door
inside door  
Hi Andy,

I am an institutional locksmith at a small Western Colorado College. Most of what I do at work is computer nerdish access control. In my spare time I like to tinker with antique locks. I have many hundred of them that I have cut up, made keys for or rebuilt.

I recently purchased a small antique floor safe that had been compromised. I did not pay much, and I have no delusions of a perfect restoration.

I would however like to repair, make function, and decorate it.

I'd like to obtain a safe lock, dial and spindle that I can make work and are somewhere near period appropriate.

Can you help me to identify the make, model, era of the safe and the locks that will work?

The front of the safe is 18 3/8" across and 23 3/8" tall

What can you tell me about this safe and where I can find parts to make it functional.

Hi Rick,

The safe was manufactured by the Alpine Safe & Lock Company, Cincinnati, OH.   They manufactured safes from about 1887 until 1916ish.    They also produced safes under the name "The Alpine Safe & Cycle Company".

As far as the age of "THIS" particular safe, you haven't provided me with any useful information to narrow down dates of manufacturer, other than the years the company was in business.

The lock used on this container was a straight tail piece, three wheel lock (two combination wheels and a driver).    The dialing sequence could be either LRL or RLR as:

3 times Left to the first number,
2 times Right to the second number,
1 time Left to the third number - turn the handle to open.

As far as finding replacement parts for this safe or lock - good luck with that one!   Unless you can find another safe to use for donor parts, your options are going to be fabricating the parts you need.

"IF" you have a machine shop available, there is no reason that you can't make replacement parts for the lock on this safe.   Assuming that YOU have reasonable skills as a safe technician, and you can make the parts, I probably have some photos that will assist you.

If you would like some photos of the items you will need to send an email directly to me so that I can respond.    I have no way of uploading the necessary items to this web site.

Send your request to me at:  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada