Antique Safes/Samuel withers safe

Question
Samuel withers safe
Samuel withers safe  

Samuel Withers Safe
Samuel Withers Safe  
Hello Mike,
We have seen a number of your responses regarding Samuel Withers safes and wonder if you could tell us a little more about ours. Thank you for any help you can give us, I have attached a number of images for your perusal. Regards Jane.

Answer
Hello Jane,

Thank you for your enquiry and the pictures.  The whole Withers family were safe makers and I think at one time there were 4 separate factories.  However, the two that we are most familiar with are Samuel and Thomas Withers who were fierce competitors.  Your Sam Witheres safe is described as a 'four corner bent' safe manufactured circa 1890 to 1910.

Simple metal presses had just been introduced so a single sheet of mild steel was bent 4 times to create the top, bottom and two sides of the safe.  A further sheet was fixed by screws or rivets at the back and a frame was inserted at the front to hang a door on.  The cavity between the inner and outer bodies was filled with sand and sawdust and possibly some alum crystals.  This was a primitive form of fire resistant compound and over the years it will have leaked and compacted to leave large voidsin the body through which heat can be efficiently conducted.  The back plate is particularly vulnerable and they are usually attacked by spinning them round and quicly ripping out the back plate.  It will have no facility for anchoring, so it would be relatively easy for intruders to take the whole thing away.

Safes of this age have a limited application as they offer very little resistance to today's well equipped burglar but yours looks in nice condition so it would make a nice drinks cupboard.  An insurer may give cover for up to 1,000 in cash or 10,000 in jewellery in safes of this type.

Michael Palmer FSyI
Mike Palmer Consultancy

Antique Safes

Mike Palmer