Antique Safes/Stearns & Marvin key operated safe

Question
QUESTION: I am a locksmith in Texas and attempting to make a key for a early Stearns & Marvin key operated safe. Lock is a 6 lever or spring lock.  Bolt is operated through a separate hole with a rod inserted to move bolt work. When you put the key ion it depresses the springs to the appropriate depth to allow retraction of the bolt work. Could you direct me to a possible source of a key blank and the rod for the bolt retraction hole.  THanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide.

ANSWER: Hi Gary,  

sorry but there are no sources for 150 year old safe keys.  You are going to have to hand fabricate them.  Welcome to basic locksmithing 1850's style.

hand fabrication of key's and locks 150 years ago was performed routinely with far fewer tools than are easily available today - likr dremel tools etc.

Wish I was closer to offer more "hands on help", but sounds like you are going to be on your own.

best I can offer would be to make a key if you send the lock to me.

QUESTION: I made a key using a putty knife from the hardware store but it seems to weak to accurately press all six consistently.  What material would you recommend.  Thanks again for your assistance. Gary.

Answer
Hi Gary,

There are a lot of materials that you can use, however as noted some may be weaker or softer, and some may be harder and/or more brittle.    This is going to be dependent on the material you choose.

I actually have a couple metal companies nearby, so I can get anthing that I want to work with.

One alternative would be to get a suitable size pocket knife (single blade), and hand fit the blade into your key shape.    Then the customer would have a folding key.    If you do a nice job it will be almost display quality, and the metal would be suitably hard.

As with anything, the end product is only held in check by your immagination and your customers wallet.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)