Antique Safes/York Lock And Safe Company

Question
QUESTION: I was given my great grandfather's York Lock And Safe Company safe. He bougth from a man who's name is engraved on it, John Schrader when he was around the age of 50. If he was alive today he would be 114 years old. Trying to determine the age of the safe, I know its atleast 64 years old. Is there any serial numbers on the inside to help indicate age of the safe? Thank in advace for any information to help me find out age of safe. Thanks Steven.

ANSWER: Steven, post a couple clear pictures of your safe.  York was in business for many years and visually I should be able to get an idea of era.  Doug

safe
safe  

safe
safe  
QUESTION: Ok here are the pictures you asked for to dertermine the age of my great grandfather's safe. Thanks so much for the help!  Steven

Answer
Your safe is the early cast iron fire safe York made for many years up into the early 1900's, possibly into the 1920's.  I have always been under the impression that the practice of putting the buyers name on the safe was discontinued by WWI, but not sure on that.  So the safe is almost certainly 90 years or more.  Doug  

Antique Safes

Doug MacQueen