Antique Safes/Antique Schwab Safe

Question
Recently, I inherited an antique Scwab Safe. It is probably from 1900.  The combination works perfectly, but I have a two questions:

First, when I opened it I noticed a band of white material lining the door and around the lip of the opening.

Is this material asbestos or gypsum? If it is asbestos is there wa way to seal it off with some kind of coating or remove it?

Second, how is this safe rated in terms of fire and/or burglary protection?

Thanks.

Answer
Hi Louis,

Chances are the material around the edge of the door is what is known as "fire cord or rope gasket".    This is the same material used around the edge of most home ovens.    I'm not sure what material it is, but it's been in use for around 100 years with no problems that I'm aware of.     Older ones may be an asbestos material, while newer ones may be of a fiberglass material.   Other than testing the material, you may not know what the material is.

As far as the safes "rating" for burglary or fire resistance - basically it has none.    While it may meet the minimum standards for burglary, it is more tamper resistant than actually burglary resistant.   You have to remember when this safe was made, NONE of the battery operated power tools that are currently, easily available, had even been thought of yet.   Generally burglars were using simple hand tools at that time.    Safes over 50 years old do not meet any standard for fire resistant.

Note:    I would not recommend ANY overnight storage of cash, jewelry or valuable documents in this safe.

Hope this answers your questions.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)