Antique Safes/Herring Hall Marvin safe

Question
Safe
Safe  

Dial
Dial  
The number 59953 is on the handle. Is this the serial number and can  it be used to determine the age of the safe. The safe is locked and combination is lost. Local inquires indicate $400 to drill it and little or no local demand (north east Arkansas) and therefore little value.
Contents unknown and not expected to be of value but ????.
Any info appreciated. Better photos can be supplied but main interest is info revealed by the serial number if that is it.

Answer
Hi Les,

Based on the serial number on your safe it would have been made around 1910ish, so it would be over 100 years old, and therefore an antique safe.

As far as any contents - in general people NEVER abandon safes with "stuff" inside of them.   Chances are you may have an old comb and a couple paperclips.   

as far as value of the safe itself, I would be happy to look at it, however until it is opened it has a negative value.

While this lock CAN be manipulate open, you would need a trained safe technician, and where you are at, you probably arn't going to have any.   In genera, I would recommend that a "fair price" to open AND repair the safe, including mobile service charges should be between $350 to $500 - so the $400 would seem reasonable - HOWEVER - make sure you understand ALL of the charges as many lock & safe companies will have a charge for their "trip to (and possibly from) your location", a charge for opening a safe, and a charge for repairing the safe, plus any parts that are damaged.

I would verify what you are being charged for, and what to expect during and after the service.   If they indicate that they are going to ruin it or aren't going to be able to repair it, then I would not use them.

As this is an obsolete safe, parts are not easy to get, so damage to the lock should not be acceptable (in my opinion).    Drilling the safe, when done correctly by a trained professional safe tech would only involve a single, very small hole, usually 1/4" or smaller, which is easily repairable.

As far as the safe having little value, while this isn't "incorrect", it also isn't correct.   Just like anyother collectible or antique item, there are pluses and minuses, which cause the value to go up and down.    In general the smaller or smallest safes can be much more valuable than a similar larger safe.    People love to show of their collections of several or more, items.    With larger safes, you take up a lot of valuable display room.     Also, larger safes weight considerably more, so costs to move them are incurred.

All in all, whether or not you have anyone interested in your safe, will mainly be dependent on two issues - the actual safe and condition, and more importantly - how well you advertise it.

For instance, at this point - the two main problems your safe has are:
1.   It is locked up!!!
2.   The exterior paint.       The missing hinge acorns can be addressed later.    While it can add to the value to have a complete set, it will also cost to find or have replacements made.

Hope this helps.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)