Antique Safes/Id a Key ?

Question
Key
Key  
Hello,
2 days ago I was lucky enough to purchase a small double door 24"x24"x18" safe/strong box with 2 keys.

I have had to come back to work offshore so have no photos of the actual safe but I do have a photo of one of the keys.
What could you tell me about the key please ?

Answer
Hello Simon,

My expertise is in British and European safes so I don't usually accept questions from elsewhere.  However, I can offer some comments regarding this key.

Way before lever locks were invented in the early 1800's, security was provided by warded locks.  Wards were simply a series of fixed obstructions over which the key must pass.  However, by removing most of the body of the key (thereby known as a skeleton key) the wards could easily be by-passed and the lock quickly opened.

These warded locks were found on the doors of convents and churches back in the Middle Ages.  I suspect your key probably belongs to cast iron strongbox dating back to the mid 1700's.  Obviously these ancient strongboxes have no security value but they are interesting historical curios.  Edward Tann began making safes in London in the late 1790's and is generally regarded as the world's first safe maker.  I suspect your strongbox pre-dates this buy quite a few years.

Mike Palmer FSyI

Antique Safes

Mike Palmer