Antique Safes/Meilink safe

Question
I located what I believe to be a model 233 free standing safe in an abandoned building. The letters FID as well as Class 'B' was on the plate. The door moved freely and the interior and exterior are in good condition. I'm trying to locate any information on this type of safe prior to placing a bid. Any help with the limited information is appreciated.

Answer
Hi Chip,

You were probably looking at the "Safe Manufacturers National Association" (SMNA) label.   This was a testing agency similar to UL and has nothing to do with the actual safe or manufacturer.

What the label does tell you what standard the safe was built to.    In this case the "specification F1-D" indicates that this was built as a "fire resistive safe".   The clasification "B" rating indicates that it was a two hour fire resistive container.

NOTE:   SMNA has NOT been around since the early 1960's.    Any container which is over 50 years old (which would include this one), DO NOT meet any current standards for fire resistance.    

Also this safe is NOT a burglary resistive safe.     While it might provide some tamper resistance, it is not designed for ANY overnight storage of cash, jewelry or valuable documents.

While it is useable for general purpose storage, if you actually need a safe, don't waste your money on this one.    Just like anything else that you buy, you get what you pay for!

Hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)