Antique Safes/Safe info

Question
front of safe
front of safe  

close up of lock mechanism
close up of lock mecha  
Gday

Could you please give me any information you might have on this safe I have included as an attachment?

As a hobbiest locksmith I have been asked by the local shire if I am able to open it due to a lost key, I have excellent skills in picking locks but have never attempted to pick an older lock with this style key.

any advice would be greatly appreciated

regards

Dan

Answer
Hi Dan,
I assume that you mean that you can pick cylinder locks -this lever mechanism is very different.
It is likely that it is a 1880 British safe made by a third tier manufacturer and then badged by the local retailer, with no financial value.
It is neither secure nor fireproof so I wonder what they would want to keep in it.
The lack of security is not due to an easily pickable lock, but because you could easily rip the whole thing apart.
I dont think that you are likely to pick it open and so I would suggest ripping it apart.
Regards
Tom

Antique Safes

Tom Gordon