Antique Safes/chalk inside safe

I emailed you last week about my safe. (who knows if it got to you) Inside is a chalk sketch of uncle Sam. Do you know of any way to preserve it without causing it to run? We are going to use the safe as a gun safe.
Thank you!

Hi Jo,

Got your emails and photos today - sorry, I spend a lot of time on the road!

I'm sorry but asking me about "preserving" a chalk drawing is a little bit out of my area of expertise.

Most of the methods that I would possibly recommend might ruin it - like varnish or a spray on clear coat.

I would recommend your contacting either a restoration artist, or perhaps check with the art department at a local college.

another idea would be to get some similar material and do a simple chalk drawing on it, and test some different ideas.   When you find something that works really well - THEN and ONLY then, put it on the chalk art to preserve it.

Also, BEFORE you decide about using the container as a "GUN SAFE", get me the photos so that I can see what you actually have and make some recommendations.    In general unrated safes should NOT be used, and I will repeat - SHOULD NOT be used for overnight storage in excess of $3000 to $5000 MAX, of valuables.    Take a really close look at replacement value of items you plan on storing inside the safe, if they exceed this limit, then you NEED something else for protection.

More later, can't wait to see the other photos when you get them.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada