Antique Safes/Herring Hall Marvin safe

Question
Front view
Front view  

Lock view
Lock view  
Hi, Doug. I was referred to you by Mike's Restoration. He thought you might help me identify my HHM safe. I'm considering what to do as far as a restoration or ??? I'm pretty sure the thing isn't really valuable, so I'll probably go with a custom paint job. I need new finials and although the lock mechanism and tumbler works well, one of the 3 latch bars is bad. The horizontal one appears to be actually broken off. I could probably have a piece welded to it, as it's mostly there. anyway, do how can I date or identify this safe? Any suggestions or ideas on my resto job? Thanks.

Answer
Ray, you are correct in that it not really valuable.  It would be from the early 1900's and appears from these pictures to be a light weight burglary safe with little to no fire protection.  Sometimes they are called skeleton safes because the boltwork is exposed.  I wouldn't imagine repairing the broken bolt to be a big deal.  It certainly could be used as a home burglary safe, handgun or liquor cabinet.  I tend to be a purist when it comes to repaint, keeping things original.  But that's just my opinion.  Doug  

Antique Safes

Doug MacQueen