Antique Safes/J. Tann Safe

Question
Large Tann Safe
Large Tann Safe  

Both Tann & Chubb Locks
Both Tann & Chubb Lock  
Hi Mike,
I thought you might be interested in this Tann safe.

I have been working with locks and safes for almost 15 years now and have recently discovered a passion for Antique Safes & Locks :)

The main door has 2 large Tann locks, Top compartments have Tann locks connected to the bolt work, Draws have small Tann locks, Lower internal safe doors have both tann & chubb locks!

The locks are just amazing.  

My intention is to restore the safe (eventually).

Your feedback would be appreciated

Answer
Hello Andrew,

Good to hear from someone with a love of antique safes.  I have never been an engineer or technician of any sort but simply provide a safe identification service mainly for insurance surveyors and underwriters, so I can't say very much about your old Tann safe.  

From what little I can see of the body it looks like a four corner bent safe made circa 1890 to 1910.  It is interesting to see two inner safes at the bottom and a lockable coffer at the top - it was presumably a 'special'.  It looks like the second lock was retro-fitted.

There were a considerable number of Tann imitators so John Tann include their anchor trade mark in their badge and referred to all their products as John Tann Reliance Safes.  If it doesn't have the anchor or the word Reliance it could be a false Tann.

Unfortunately all the Tann archives where 'lost' when they were acquired by Gunnebo but if you can find a serial number anywhere, I could at least tell you when it was made.

If you found this information useful, perhaps you could spare a moment to rate this answer.

Mike Palmer FSyI
Mike Palmer Consultancy

Antique Safes

Mike Palmer