Antique Safes/Meilink Steel Safe

I'm trying to figure out the age of my Meilink Safe.

We've owned it for about 20 years. Before that we got it from a job where the owner said he had it for quite some time.

Information listed on inside of the door:

(Black/silver Coloring)
R-1136 Underwriters Laboratories INC. Listed SAFE NO. A 76224
Fire Classification C

(Black/silver Coloring)
Underwriters Laboratories INC. Listed RELOCKING DEVICE NO. A 55424

(Green/White coloring)
Y 646042
CAT. NO. 1

Inside: open space with small divided spaces on left, with small black pull out drawer (Black with no key hole)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
If you need more pictures let me know.
Thanks for your time,

Hi Jake,

Unfortunately most of the info that you provided me with has nothing to do with the safe manufacturer or the actual safe other than to let us know what standards it was built to comply with.

UL and SMNA were testing agencies only, and the info only relates to basic construction methods.   For instance the container is a basic, fire resistive safe, designed to provide a minimum of ONE hour of fire resistance - that's it, it is NOT a burglary resistive safe.

The only info provided which DOES provide us with a "BUILT PREVIOUSLY TO" is the fact that it has an SMNA (Safe Manufacturers National Association) label.   This indicates that the container was built BEFORE 1962.    Based on the photo you provided, this was pretty much the standard in the late 1950's and early 1960's.

Bottom Line - the container does NOT meet any current standards for fire resistance, and it should NOT be used for overnight storage of cash, jewelry or valuable documents.   If you are going to use it, I would recommend it only be used for storage of general purpose documents, which are necessary, but are also easily replaceable.

Hope this answers your questions.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada