Antique Safes/Meilink Steel Safe

Question
Front
Front  

Inside
Inside  
I'm trying to figure out the age of my Meilink Safe.

We've owned it for about 20 years. Before that we got it from a job where the owner said he had it for quite some time.

Information listed on inside of the door:

(Black/silver Coloring)
R-1136 Underwriters Laboratories INC. Listed SAFE NO. A 76224
Fire Classification C

(Black/silver Coloring)
Underwriters Laboratories INC. Listed RELOCKING DEVICE NO. A 55424

(Green/White coloring)
Built to comply with SAFE MANUFACTURES NATIONAL ASSOCIATION specification for SIRE-INSULATED SAFE
SPEC F1-D
Y 646042
S.M.N.A. CLASS C
CAT. NO. 1

Inside: open space with small divided spaces on left, with small black pull out drawer (Black with no key hole)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
If you need more pictures let me know.
Thanks for your time,
Jake.

Answer
Hi Jake,

Unfortunately most of the info that you provided me with has nothing to do with the safe manufacturer or the actual safe other than to let us know what standards it was built to comply with.

UL and SMNA were testing agencies only, and the info only relates to basic construction methods.   For instance the container is a basic, fire resistive safe, designed to provide a minimum of ONE hour of fire resistance - that's it, it is NOT a burglary resistive safe.

The only info provided which DOES provide us with a "BUILT PREVIOUSLY TO" is the fact that it has an SMNA (Safe Manufacturers National Association) label.   This indicates that the container was built BEFORE 1962.    Based on the photo you provided, this was pretty much the standard in the late 1950's and early 1960's.

Bottom Line - the container does NOT meet any current standards for fire resistance, and it should NOT be used for overnight storage of cash, jewelry or valuable documents.   If you are going to use it, I would recommend it only be used for storage of general purpose documents, which are necessary, but are also easily replaceable.

Hope this answers your questions.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)