Antique Safes/milners safe

Question
front
front  

inside
inside  
hi, i was hoping you could help me identify what type/model safe this is and how much its worth. its dimensions are 51x51x66.5cm

Answer
Hello Robert,

Thanks for the question and the pictures.  I can't see enough of the door and bolt-work to be certain, but this is probably a Milner List 3 Safe.  This type of construction is known as '4 corner bent banded'.  A single sheet of mild steel was bent 4 times to create the top, bottom and two sides.  A back plate was attached from the outside by fixing to an angle-iron frame.  Because the seams of these safes were very vulnerable, heavy bands were added at the front and back.  Safes of this type of construction date from around 1890 to 1910.  The body is filled with Milners patent 'fire proof' compound of sand, sawdust and alum crystals. Over the years this will have compacted to create large voids in the body through which heat could be conducted so it is now probably useless.

Safes of this age were only designed to defeat basic hand held forcing tools and would not withstand modern power tools.  Consequently they are not recommended to secure cash, valuables or important documents, so they have no commercial function.

However, there are people who collect these old safes and refurbish them to a high standard for resale as cocktail cabinets or whatever.  The best way to get an idea of values is to search for 'antique safes' on ebay.  Ignore the 'buy now' prices, they invariably ask far too much and seldom sell.  If you put this safe up for auction on ebay, make it clear that the buyer collects - the cost of moving these heavy safes can be more than they're worth.

If you find this answer helpful, please take a moment to give it a rating.

Many thanks,

Mike Palmer FSyI
Mike Palmer Consulancy

Antique Safes

Mike Palmer