Antique Safes/old halls safe

Question
safe
safe  
my question is this safe has no number on handle and I would like to know where if any would be another identifying id as to what year this would have been made ? I am buying this safe this weekend (regardless) but would like to start to get info on this. I do know safe is unlocked but will not latch close ,as if the bolts are stuck open.i am hoping I can fix this or have someone else fix . I live in the Peoria Illinois area

Answer
I am not an expert on American safes but a safe that doesn't lock is an open cupboard and not a safe.
It would appear that they do not have the combination although it is possible that the mechanism is broken or even missing inside.
I would strongly suggest agreeing a price subject to a locksmith retrieving the combination/ repairing the safe before you pay and collect the safe - if it will never shut, let alone lock, I think that you are unlikely to be happy.

Antique Safes

Tom Gordon