Antique Safes/What can I do with two old safes?

Question
Remington Rand Safe Ledger Tray Safe
Remington Rand Safe Le  
I am emptying a home and don't know what to do with two old safes and whether or not they're worth anything. They are marked "Remington Rand Safe Ledger Tray" and below that, "Safe-Cabinet Laboratory Inspected File 2 Hour Exp." Another marker lists "Underwriters' Laboratories, Inc. Inspected INSULATED RECORD CONTAINER, FIRE CLASSIFICATION B   NO. 339268." The second safe is the same with a consecutive Ser# 339269. Thank you very much for your time and expertise.

Answer
Hi Marcia,

You have a couple problems with these two containers, that you will have to deal with if you are trying to get rid of them.

First problem is what they are and their age.    No one uses "ledger files" like this for document or "ledger" storage, so they are obsolete.    Next issue is their age.   The Safe Cabinet Laboratories was owned by Remington Rand - so even though you have two different names, it was the same company.    Remington-Rand acquired the Safe Cabinet Company in 1926.

In 1955 or 56 Remington-Rand merged with the Sperry Corporation to become Sperry-Rand.   Subsequently by 1956 all manufacturing of safes and similar products ceased.   So your containers are pre-1956.

Second problem is the "INSULATION" that was used by these companies.   They were known users of Asbestos, which is considered a HAZMAT item (Hazardous Material).    Every state has their own rules and regulations regarding transporting, selling or disposing of HAZMAT items, so regardless of how YOU decide to get rid of these containers, you WILL need to take this into account.    Selling them won't relieve you of any responsibilities down the road, and many states have extremely STIFF penalties for non-compliance of state HAZMAT regulations.

Check the following 2010 article out, concerning non compliance fines:    http://www.jjkellerservices.com/articles/hauling_hazardous_materials.html

Minimum fines were around $275 with max fines up to $55,000 - They have increased since then.

My first recommendation would be for you to have the insulation material of both containers tested for ASBESTOS content.   Once you receive the results then you can decide what direction you wish to proceed.    If you don't have a local HAZMAT testing facility, you can obtain an Asbestos test kit at many hardware stores like ACE Hardware, Home Depot and Lowes, and even some CVS Pharmacies, or by going to:    http://www.prolabinc.com/asbestos-test-kits.asp

Unfortunately, until you have them tested for asbestos, you basically have negative values on both units - that being the disposal costs.    Also as they are pretty much obsolete items, they have no commercial or retail value.

Sorry to be the bearer of such bad news.    If you were to call our office and if you were in our service area, we would charge you between $400 to $600 per container to haul them away for disposal.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)