Antique Safes/Safe

Was wondering if you could give me an idea of what this safe might be worth and age.  I know it is at least 40 years old and manufacture is York Safe Company.

Your York safe, is a late model, late 1950's 2 hour fire resistive safe.    Safes over 50 years old do NOT meet ANY current standards for fire resistance and it is NOT a burglary resistive container.

Basic values for the container are:

1.  Fire resistance:          $0     Does not meet any current standards
2.  Burglary:          $0     Not burglary resistive
3.  Resale:          $0     has no commercial or retail value, should not be used for overnight storage of cash, jewelry or ANY valuable documents.
4.  Antique/Collectible:      $0     Neither antique or collectible

Most safe companies would probably charge you around $400 to $500 to haul it away for disposal.

While the container does NOT meet any of the above categories, does not mean that it has no value, it is just severely limited, and its best and worst attributes are its size.    Fortunately it is large enough to provide a large storage area, and even though it does not meet any current standards for fire resistance, doesn't mean that it won't provide some fire protection - I just wouldn't recommend using it for anything other than general purpose documents which can easily be replaced, but you need daily access to them.

It's biggest negative is its size.   Most people are NOT going to want to deal with the headaches associated with moving a large safe.

All in all, having a price of $400 to $500 to sell it as is would not be an unreasonable starting point, but be prepared to negotiated down if you really need to sell it.

Hope this helps,  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada