Antique Safes/Safe

Question
Pic
Pic  

tag
tag  
Was wondering if you could give me an idea of what this safe might be worth and age.  I know it is at least 40 years old and manufacture is York Safe Company.

Answer
Jason,

Your York safe, is a late model, late 1950's 2 hour fire resistive safe.    Safes over 50 years old do NOT meet ANY current standards for fire resistance and it is NOT a burglary resistive container.

Basic values for the container are:

1.  Fire resistance:          $0     Does not meet any current standards
2.  Burglary:          $0     Not burglary resistive
3.  Resale:          $0     has no commercial or retail value, should not be used for overnight storage of cash, jewelry or ANY valuable documents.
4.  Antique/Collectible:      $0     Neither antique or collectible

Most safe companies would probably charge you around $400 to $500 to haul it away for disposal.

While the container does NOT meet any of the above categories, does not mean that it has no value, it is just severely limited, and its best and worst attributes are its size.    Fortunately it is large enough to provide a large storage area, and even though it does not meet any current standards for fire resistance, doesn't mean that it won't provide some fire protection - I just wouldn't recommend using it for anything other than general purpose documents which can easily be replaced, but you need daily access to them.

It's biggest negative is its size.   Most people are NOT going to want to deal with the headaches associated with moving a large safe.

All in all, having a price of $400 to $500 to sell it as is would not be an unreasonable starting point, but be prepared to negotiated down if you really need to sell it.

Hope this helps,  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)