Antique Safes/Safe.

Hi, I bought my house a few years ago and this safe was tucked away in a cupboard. I'm after any information you can give me regarding it and a rough value.
On front of the safe it says : G Lucas & Co. Burglar and bullion safe.manufactuerer Bilston England Est 1886.
Dimensions : Hx61cm, Wx43, Dx38.

Any information would be a great help.
Ben Attridge

Hi Ben,

First item - I would recommend your contacting two other experts on this same site (AllExperts / Antique Safes).
Mike Palmer and Tom Gordon are both experts in English and European safes, so you might get more info running it by them.

I'm sorry but I don't have any specific info on this company - it was simply one of the many companies in England that were making virtually identical containers during the late 1800's.

Unfortunately the fact that with the exception of the name plaques, handles and key hole covers, they were generally identical, artificially reduces any values because so many similar safes still exist.   Pretty much the ONLY place that these safes were sold was throughout the UK and British countries.

Generally the safes like this that I've seen go for around 150 to 200 British Pounds.   About $250 to $320 US Dollars.   In the US for example, the same safe might go for 3 or 4 times this amount because there are fewer examples available for sale.

My recommendation would be to run it by Mike and Tom to see if they have any info.   You could also check with a local antique dealer or auction house to see what similar safes might have gone for recently.

Sorry, I don't have more info, but European safes are NOT my specialty.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada