Antique Safes/Safe.

Question
Safe.
Safe.  

Safe
Safe  
Hi, I bought my house a few years ago and this safe was tucked away in a cupboard. I'm after any information you can give me regarding it and a rough value.
On front of the safe it says : G Lucas & Co. Burglar and bullion safe.manufactuerer Bilston England Est 1886.
Dimensions : Hx61cm, Wx43, Dx38.

Any information would be a great help.
Regards
Ben Attridge

Answer
Hi Ben,

First item - I would recommend your contacting two other experts on this same site (AllExperts / Antique Safes).
Mike Palmer and Tom Gordon are both experts in English and European safes, so you might get more info running it by them.

I'm sorry but I don't have any specific info on this company - it was simply one of the many companies in England that were making virtually identical containers during the late 1800's.

Unfortunately the fact that with the exception of the name plaques, handles and key hole covers, they were generally identical, artificially reduces any values because so many similar safes still exist.   Pretty much the ONLY place that these safes were sold was throughout the UK and British countries.

Generally the safes like this that I've seen go for around 150 to 200 British Pounds.   About $250 to $320 US Dollars.   In the US for example, the same safe might go for 3 or 4 times this amount because there are fewer examples available for sale.

My recommendation would be to run it by Mike and Tom to see if they have any info.   You could also check with a local antique dealer or auction house to see what similar safes might have gone for recently.

Sorry, I don't have more info, but European safes are NOT my specialty.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)