Antique Safes/safes

where can we sell our safe that is in our cellar that is taking up valuable space .it has the honi soit.qui.mac.pence and the which quit a lot of the late 1800 safes have but it has 2 seperate locking comparments inside which we have the key for and the lock a roud key ,maybe the dial was taken off previously  it has 3 locking bars on the front and 2 on the back ,would love to sell it but the buyer moves it

Hi Albert,

You will have to advertise it - just like any other item you would like to sell.   eBay, Craigs List or flyers are good methods.    You can also try using antique dealers and/or auction houses, though these sources usually charge a substantial commission.

In order to sell it though, you will have to have it moved out of the cellar.    Potential buyers are not going to be interested if they also have to pay to have it moved.

If you are going to require the buyer to pay for moving the safe, you are pretty much cutting the heck out of your potential buying offers.    Unless you find the right buyer who absolutely HAS TO HAVE THAT SAFE, you may be stuck with it for a very long time.

Having the safe out and ready to be loaded on a buyers truck makes it MUCH MORE sellable.

I doubt that your safe ever had a dial.    European safe makers have always used key locks as the primary locking devices.    They have only started using combination locks during the last 20-25 years or so.    American safe makers went the other route by using the combination lock as the primary lock around 150 years ago.

Bottom line - if you want to attract potential buyers you have to advertise, advertise, advertise.

Hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada