Antique Safes/Square Lowrie S&L Co Wall Safe

Lowrie Wall Safe
Lowrie Wall Safe  

I have been looking at your answers about other Lowrie wall safe in order to open a locked one in my house. This one looks like a different model than those. Instead of being round it is square with a hinge. No one who lived here before knew the combo, so it has been a great mystery. The house has a strange and uncertain building history, so the safe could have been installed anywhere from 1900-1930.
The 1-100 dial reads THE LOWRIES S&L CO N.Y. and has a serial number of 90659. It is all black except for some fern like decorations on the edges of the door. It measures just under 1 ft by 1 ft.
I would really like to open it without destroying it. I don't mind putting in lots of hours if it means I can keep it as a functioning antique.
Right above the safe is written:
I don't know if that is a hint or anything.
I would appreciate any information about the lock mechanism, default combinations, and ways in which to narrow down the possible combinations. Also, any history of the safe would be great too.

Hi Adam,

See, rarely does a day go by, that I don't get a chance to see something that I've never seen before.    And your square door Lowrie, would be the one for today!  :)

The Round door type Lowrie safes are "plain Jane" in comparison to yours, which has much more detail on the exterior.   However, I have no reason to believe that it would operate any differently or have a much different lock.

This company was in business from some time in the early 1900's through about 1920, so this meets with your guess as to a possible installation date.

The dialing sequence for the Lowrie locks I've seen is as follows:

3 times right to the first number,
2 times left to the second number,
1 time right until the dial stops - pull door open.

Note:   Left is counter clockwise, Right is clockwise.    Do not count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.

While you can make up a spread sheet of the 10,000 possible combinations, I would recommend testing every other number, which would drop the number of test combinations down to about 2500.    You should be able to knock them out in a few days, and hopefully come up with a working combination.

Sorry I don't have any more info, but hopefully this will provide you with enough info to open the safe.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada