Antique Safes/Syracuse Safe Company Yale safe

Question
Safe Exterior 1
Safe Exterior 1  

Safe Interior 1
Safe Interior 1  
We have an old safe from Syracuse Safe Company, who went out of business around 1928. It is not in flawless shape, but still has the wooden dividers and one wooden shelf. The lock still works smoothly and the Syracuse Safe Company lettering on the inside of the door is in fair to good shape. I have many high resolution pictures of the safe from different angles if needed.

We would appreciate your opinion on its value and where the best place to find a buyer would be.

Thank you

Answer
Hi Jerold,

Actually I have info indicating that the Syracuse Safe Company lasted into at least the early 1930's.

The founder of this company, a Mr. Louis Arron died at the age of 72, on August 1st, 1930 and there is no indication that the factory had closed by this time.   I also have information concerning an employee - a Mr. Smith H. Stafford who retired in 1931 after working for this company for 25 years.
Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any information concerning the actual END of the business, but with the death of the founder, it may not have been long after that depending on the board of directors.

As far as a "VALUE" for your safe, I would need to see much better photos to evaluate it.   Also, I do not provide any listings for buyers.  You will simply need to advertise it just as you would anything else that you intend to sell.   Ebay, Craigs List are pretty good ways, you can also create flyers an drop them off with antique sellers.   Auction Houses are a good way to get it sold quickly, however regardless of any appraised value, the selling price WILL depend on how well the auction is advertised.    Also, generally antique dealers and auction houses will take a significant percentage fee for their services - possibly as high as 30%, but on the other hand, they are doing most of the work.

In order to answer specific questions, identify, evaluate or appraise your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 12mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please don’t send me “cell phone” photos, unless they are very clear and of sufficient resolution.   Also, please don’t use online, internet photo drops as most of these also don’t allow me to easily access the photos for examination.   Send the pics directly to me, while this may be more work for you, it will make my job easier.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)