Antique Safes/Denio and Roberts Safe

Question
Denio and Roberts safe exterior
Denio and Roberts safe  
Hi, do you u know the estimated cost to rekeying this safe, it opens no problem?  I want to weigh the cost of fixing the lock, moving it or just selling it.  It has to be moved out of the office by February and I might move it to my house, 12 miles away.  I am in Boston, Ma 02109 and do u know of Benton Locksmith, Boston, Ma thanks

Answer
Hi Spiro,

First question, If it opens "ok - no problems", then what is the reason for rekeying it???

Second question, Do you even have any keys for it currently - or is the safe locked open, so the door opens and closes.

In general, I never recommend using locksmiths for safe work - even when it comes to making keys.    The majority simply do not have the skills or tools to work on safes.

I'm not familiar with "Benton Locksmith" so I can't recommend using them - you will have to discuss the project with them to determine if they have ever done this work before and/or if they have the capability.

Just because they express a desire to work on the safe, does NOT mean that they have the training or knowledge.

My recommendation would be for you to contact Phil Shearer at Hanover Safe & Lock in Hanover, MA.    Phil is one of the top safe guys on the east coast and he also runs lock defeat technology.    He has the tools and knowledge to make keys for your safe.    He may know of your locksmith and/or can recommend them.

You can contact Phil at:   781-871-4346

As far as the cost to "rekey" the safe, it will depend on access to the lock and bolt work.    While some of these safes had fairly easy access to the lock, others I've seen were buried under the insulation mortar.    Access to the lock is gained by chipping or cutting away the mortar.   Once the lock has been rekeyed and the bolt work serviced, the mortar is replaced to cover it up.

Also, as you didn't indicate "WHAT" problem the lock might be having, other than to indicate "fixing the lock", I can't answer that.   Any locksmith or safe company that has access to a small machine shop, or having machinist capabilities, should be able to make replacement parts and/or repair the lock.    Again, cost WILL depend on what the actual problem is, and WHAT type of access they have to the lock.

Similarly, as your safe possibly weighs between 1000 to 1500 lbs, it will require special equipment to move the safe, from its current location to a new site.

I know that you just wanted some type of "ball park" number, but as you can see it isn't quite as simple as that, there are a number of questions which must be answered.

As Phil is only around 20 miles from Boston, I would suggest that you contact him to discuss the project and all of your options.    He may need to come out to take a look at the safe, but after these and any other questions he has are answered, he should be able to give you a reasonable cost estimate to take care of your safe.

Hope this at least gets you moving in the right direction.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)