Antique Safes/Gary T-20 safe information

Question
Gary T-20 safe
Gary T-20 safe  
Hi Andy,

I've have a Gary 'above' floor, square door 24x24x39 safe (reported to be a T-20) that I bought to practice on. Its always been an interest to learn about safes and locks and I have very limited skills developed so far.

This safe has a 0-99 numbered dial with the letter "G" centered on it's dial. It is likely original, and squeaks a little when rotated. I can feel the gate opening between 6 and 16, and it is rough turning ccw across the 16 mark, and smooth cw across the 6. What I can't tell is the number of wheels inside this lock as there is practically no information short of what you've posted here on this site (Thanks too!) Assuming it is four as the in floor models is there any other information you can provide on it. I've noticed that when I turn the handle (which is pointing striaght down - pic) CW, the dial rotates CW one gradient or so, is that indicative of an older lock set? Problem?
I plan to spend 30 min to an hour a day playing with it.

Thanks,

Ev

Answer
Hi Everett,

Basically this is similar to how I got started in this industry about 43 years ago.   Though back then, there was very limited education or books available, and of course - no internet.

Good luck with your new hobby.     If you are interested in this as a career, there are several training facilities throughout the country, with the two most dedicated ones (for safes & vaults) being in Nicholasville, KY.

As far as the lock on this safe, it is probably a Sargent & Greenleaf 6720 series lock, or a similar aftermarket lock (Federal).    These are three wheel locks, with a drive wheel.    The dialing sequence for the lock is going to be:

4 times left to the first number,
3 times right to the second number,
2 times left to the third number,
1 time right, slowly, until the dial stops - should be around 90.

Note:   Left is counter clockwise, Right is clockwise.   DO NOT count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.

If the dial is as stiff as you indicate, this indicates maintenance issues - which could be a number of things.    Including:   debris under the dial, old stiff grease under the dial or in the lock, debris inside the lock, or even a loose lock mounting screw.

Good luck with your efforts, and welcome to the field.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)