Antique Safes/Guardian Safe

Good morning Mike
Guardian Safe GSC1C
it still opens, but recently we have found the key locking becoming fiddly and unresponsive.

I look forward to your reply
kind regards

Hello Maxine,

Thank you for your enquiry.  The GSC1C is not a cash safe, it is a tall Fireguard document fire cabinet designed to protect paper documents from loss by fire.  It probably has a fairly basic lock which, if memory serves, is pop riveted in position.  A local safe engineer should be able to replace it with a new one.  Some models had a more up-market Abloy lock which has a sort of half-moon keyhole and that can also become fiddly.  These cabinets are no longer made.

I suggest you Google www, and search for your nearest locksmith.  Select one that offers to service safes, tell them what it is and ask for a quote.  Alternatively, tell me whereabouts you are located and I will suggest someone.

If you have found this information useful, please take a moment to rate it.

Mike Palmer FSyI
Mike Palmer Consultancy

Antique Safes

Mike Palmer

I earn my living identifying safes and suggesting cash limits for risk advisors and insurance surveyors in the UK. I'm am pleased to comment on safes manufactured in the UK or Mainland Europe but I am unable to accept questions regarding safes made in the USA or elsewhere.

I have been in the UK safe industry for 40 years and have one of the largest archive databases of old safe literature and serial numbers in the country. I started with Chubb in 1960 and became Assistant Manager of their Bank Security Division before moving on to become the Insurance Liaison Manager with the John Tann Group. I became Sales & Marketing Director for Guardian Safes Limited before semi-retiring. I am a Fellow of the Security Institute and ex-Chairman of Eurosafe UK, a trade body representing the interests of UK safe makers and distributors. I now work as a part time consultant.

I am an advisor to the Safe Committee of the Association of Insurance Surveyors, a Fellow of the Security Institute and founding Chairman of Eurosafe UK.

I have had literally scores of articles published in various security trade publications. So far this year I have had 24 features published in various journals including Keyways, Professional Security, Pawnbroker and Safe India. I have published one book, Peckham Boy, the life and times of the world's greatest safe cracker.

No relevant educational credentials.

In 1997 I was awarded the annual shield by the Association of Insurance Surveyors for "..outstanding services to crime prevention"

I have represented or been an agent for the John Tann Group (Stratford, Ratner, Dreadnought and Tann safes); Churchill Safes, Chubb Safe Co Ltd, SLS Safes, SMP Safes, Dudley Safes and several others