Antique Safes/Hall's safe

Question
Handle
Handle  

Dial
Dial  
Hello, I have an old safe in my basement.  It is a hall's safe and lock co.  It is a floor safe and it has 4 wheels on it. There is a handle on the door along with the dial. On the handle the numbers 71717 are imprinted on it. The dial has the name halls safe and lock co. Cincinnati O on it. Inside the door there is a mural of I believe roses on it.  Also at the top of door on the inside it says halls patent. I am wondering when this safe was made and if it has any value. Any help you could provide would be very appreciated. I will send pics of the outside door and if necessary I can take pictures of the inside. The inside I believe has 3 vertacle slots and above the slots on left side is a 4in x 4in opening with door for valuables I'm guessing . Any info u can give me would be appreciated.  Thank you

Answer
Hi Warren,

Your safe would have been built around 1876-78 - so it is an antique.

As far as value, without seeing the safe, I can't evaluate it.    I would be more than happy to look at it for you.

As far as the questions that you have pertaining to the safe, make sure that you provide me with photos of those areas so that I can address your questions.

In order to answer questions, identify, evaluate or appraise the “current condition” of your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos (close-ups) should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 12mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please use a “jpeg” format, not a bitmap (bmp) image.   Also, I don’t like “website” photo dumps.   While it may be an easy place for you to store them, retrieving photos which allow me to zoom in to look at details, takes a lot of extra time.   Please send the requested photos directly to me.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)