Antique Safes/Halls Safe

Question
QUESTION: I have a halls safe with numbers 14874 on the handle/ latch. Can you  tell me how old  and how much it weighs.

ANSWER: Tim, possibly with a couple pictures of the safe I can help you. Doug

Safe
Safe  
Safe
Safe  
QUESTION: Best I can do right  now

ANSWER: Tim, on the weight its a bit hard to tell from those pictures.  Full frontal pictures are needed at the least.  Dimensions would help also.  Age wise I would say around the 1870's.  Doug

QUESTION: Thanks Doug for the age. Sorry for pics safe is at uncles house he's out of town. I think it's about 3 feet by 3 feet probably closer to 30 inches. It has wheels also. I saw a picture from Dana that looks close to same size,Dana had asked a question about value

Answer
Tim, if you are trying to determine weight for moving the safe, it is best to get exact dimensions of the outside and the body thickness.  Even then it will still be a guesstimate based on experience.  Yesterday we moved a safe I guessed was probably around 1500 lbs and it turned out to be 2500 lbs.  Usually I am not that far off but shows that when moving safes, its best to over estimate.  Doug

Antique Safes

Doug MacQueen