Antique Safes/Milners Safe

Question
milner
milner  
QUESTION: dear mike, i live in austria. i have a milners safe and have lost the keys. it's really difficult to find a specialist in Austria for this sort. no locksmith is able to open it without damage. is there any possibility to order a second key from somewhere in england? can send a photo, can't send a registration number because i can't see one. maybe on the backside....can't move it, too large.

thanks a lot, regards from austria
doris

ANSWER: Hello Doris,

Thank you for your question.  

If I understand correctly, the safe is locked and you have no keys.  Firstly, this safe is certainly over 120 years old so the lock will not be particularly difficult to pick by an experienced safe engineer/locksmith and you can find the nearest specialist to you by visiting the Master Locksmiths of Australia website at http://www.masterlocksmiths.com.au/ However, sometimes locks refuse to be picked and it is a relatively simple matter to drill them open.  It usually requires just one hole which can be plugged afterwards.

Regarding duplicate keys; no registers are ever kept of safe keys, they are always cut to pattern, i.e. they need a key to copy from.  Although it may not be impossible to cut from a picture, this would be very difficult and I have never heard of it being done.  However, once the safe is open and the lock is available, it should be possible to cut new keys.

However, a warning note.  Safes of this extreme age should not be used to secure cash, valuables or important documents and the cost of opening the safe and cutting new keys is likely to be more than the safe is worth.

If this answer has been helpful, please take a moment to rate it.

Mike Palmer FSyI
Mike Palmer Consultancy

QUESTION: hello mike,
thank you for your answer.
i live in austria, not in australia. only one locksmith (and i asked many of them) told me he is able to open the safe with one little hole. he costs about 600,-- (without a new lock)
i thought maybe there's a cheaper possibility to open it.
can you tell me the approximate value of the safe?
regards,
doris

Answer
Firstly, my apologies for sending you to the other side of the world.

600 euros to drill open an ancient Milner safe is far too much.  Perhaps you could ask the following company for advice.  They are members of Eurosafe, the association of European safe makers:

VSO Verband der Sicherheitsunternehmen Osterreichs
Porzellangasse 37, 1090 Wien
Email: office@vsoe.at
Tel: 01 319 4132

They should be able to recommend a company that could drill this safe open and fit a new lock.

I have no experience of second hand safe prices in Austria, but here in the UK they usually fetch around 140 for a safe that is unlocked and has at least one key.  So you can see that paying 600 euros to have it opened is unviable.

Good luck,

Mike Palmer FSyI
Mike Palmer Consultancy

Antique Safes

Mike Palmer