Antique Safes/Old safe

Question
where can I get parts for old safe made by York Safe and Lock Co.,I think York, Pa.    Thanks, John  

I would like to get it fixed to use.

Answer
Hi John,

Basic History:

Shortly after the death of S. Forry Laucks, owner of York Safe & Lock Co., on 11 April, 1942, the company began to fall into a state of confusion.   Laucks had become general manager of the company in 1891, and the company had not faltered under his leadership.    As this company had numerous, important NAVY contracts (beginning of WWII), the Navy stepped in and took over control of the company.   The Navy eventually brought in Blaw-Knox to run the company.  
In 1945, ownership of the company was transferred to Diebold.    During the late 1950's Diebold was charged with anti-trust violations by the US government because they were acquiring too many companies, and they were forced to sell off several companies - including York.
Diebold's ownership of York ended about 1959 or 60.

As York parts have not been available for at least 55 years now, any parts are going to be salvaged parts from old York safes.     Most safe companies only salvage parts that THEY can use for their projects, so there isn't going to be a large supply of old parts available, and unfortunately there isn't any data base for old parts.    This means that you have three choices to keep your  safe operational.    
1.   You can knock on every safe and lock companies doors, looking for parts, or
2.   You can have some parts made to replace damaged parts, or
3.   You can upgrade to available locks or parts.

Regardless of what you decide, you will need a much better description of the parts that you actually need other than just a blanket statement: "where can I get old parts for a York Safe"!

My first question for you, assuming that you have a complete safe, and just want new parts, WHAT is the actual problem that exists???    It may be repairable.
Second question would be:   WHAT parts are you looking for???   Be very specific.

I'm pretty familiar with York and in fact have a couple York safes myself.

Hope this helps,  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)