Antique Safes/Removal of Old Bank Vault Door

Question
Yale Vault Door
Yale Vault Door  
I have always had a passion for old Bank Vault doors.  I would like to repurpose an old Bank Vault door during construction of my new house.
I have a background in Architecture, Eng and Construction.

I found the perfect door but I need to find someone who can remove it for me.  Its one of the larger Round doors.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I believe the door is from the early 1900's.

Answer
Hi Matt,

Great project - hopefully the cost doesn't break the "bank", so to speak!

Unfortunately there are only a few safe companies in the country that are equipped to work on, or remove these doors, due to the massive weight it will require special equipment.

Main problem is that this door is going to be concreted in as part of its original construction.   This means that in addition to supporting the massive weight to lay it down and move it, it will have to be supported while the concrete is removed.    Whether it is saw cut or jack hammered from the supporting wall, it is going to be a massive project.

As you are in North Carolina the nearest large companies are going to be in the New York or Miami areas.    You could also contact a heavy rigging company to work with the demolition company to remove it, though as parts are NOT going to be available for repairs, damage to the door should NOT be an option.

If you have the back ground in architecture, Engineering and Construction, then I'm not sure why you are running this by me as you should have a good idea for what it is going to take to remove it.

If you are looking for possible contacts to discuss the project with I can give you a few, however, my recommendation would be to find a door which has already been removed and is ready to installed.    I've got a contact that currently has two square/rectangle, crane hinge, pressure bar vault doors ready to go, other than shipping them across country.

If you are determined on having a "round" type vault door similar to the photo, there is a manufacturer in Florida that makes current model doors which are very similar and would possibly be a better buy as you don't have to pay for all of the demolition work.

I'll need a bit more info on what you actually would like so that I can point you in the right direction.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)