Antique Safes/safe opening

Question
safe pic1
safe pic1  
Our client needs an antique safe opened, death in the family-lost combination. Attached pic is of a single door safe marked SECURITY LOCK & SAFE CO. HAMILTON, OHIO. The handle is in the center of the dial. There are no other visible markings or serial numbers on the unit. We are thinking it could be manipulated, but the client is even ready to drill it open because they "need in yesterday". Any manipulation tips, drill points, documentation, or words of wisdom? We have not encountered this type of dial before. Thank you so much Andy!

Answer
Hi Paul,

The manufacturer of this safe is more than likely Victor Safe & Lock company.    The Security Lock and Safe Co., was probably just a seller of used safes, a distributor or agent for the manufacturer.    The safe appears to be prior to the 1920 merger of Victor and The Safe Cabinet Company, so parts are not going to be available.

As far as "TIPS" to open the safe - sorry but for obvious security and liability reasons we do not give out ANY information other than the correct dialing sequence for the lock we would expect to find on this safe.

While it is possible to manipulate the lock on this safe, it may not happen for a number of reasons - some times the locks simply don't talk, you may not have a trained safe technician in your area, etc.    With manipulation, you are paying for the service and not necessarily the result.
Drilling when done correctly by a trained safe technician, can open the safe without ruining it, and the single small hole can be easily repaired.

Check your local yellow pages under safes & vaults for a nearby company.   I generally don't recommend using locksmiths as they may not have the training, knowledge or tools to work on safes without causing excessive damage or charging exhorbant fees.

If you don't have a local safe company, let me know where you are located (zip code) and I'll see who I might know and/or recommend  in your area.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)