Antique Safes/Stephen Cox & Son Safe

Question
I have a large, heavy fire proof safe built by the above firm in Sedgley. A key is used to open it and there is a handle on the door.. At the side of the door there are three or four large round metal bolts that retract into the door of the safe when opened and go into the side of the safe when it is locked.
Can you give me some history on the safe, if i want to sell it can you give me an estimated value on the safe and if the key is not turning the lock is there anything i can do to turn the key.This safe has been in the family longer than me and i am 63. It has fallen down concrete steps and destroyed the steps and burst the cable of a Otis elevator. Thieves have tried to set it on fire and move it but to no avail.

Answer
Hello Joanne,

Stephen Cox made many safes that would fit that description.  In order to answer your question I would need to establish the exact model and the only way to do that is to see a couple of photographs, one with the door shut showing the entire front of the safe, and one with the door open revealing the door thickness and bolt-work.

If it is more convenient, pictures can be emailed direct to info@mikepalmerconsultancy.co.uk.  I look forward to hearing from you.

Mike Palmer FSyI
Mike Palmer Consultancy

Antique Safes

Mike Palmer